I covered “Why you CAN’T skip reading to your child for 20 minutes per day” in a previous post. Today I want to focus on the pros and cons of reading to your child daily.
The PROS of reading to your child daily are that it...
- fosters parent-child bonding
- will help him/her to associate reading with emotional comfort and enjoyment
- prepares him/her for sleep if part of a bedtime routine
- improves motor skills when opening the book, turning pages and gripping with thumb and forefinger
- boosts brain development
- helps him/her to master language
- builds vocabulary and understanding
- develops sound recognition
- acts as a stepping stone for conversation
- develops the skill of logic when reading a story repeatedly
- teaches him/her about prediction
- develops the imagination
- develops and improves attention span and concentration
- is the start of understanding sequences, which is important for math, science
- encourages a love of reading which is invaluable
- promotes discussion (which can contribute to dinner time conversation)
- promotes the development of healthy habits
- is relaxing and soothing and is good for stress reduction
- improves emotional and social development
- will become an activity that YOU can’t do without
- promotes cuddling, snuggling and sharing
This list is not exhaustive.
The CONS of reading to your child daily are that…
- you have to find time in your already busy schedule
- you have to be disciplined no matter how you feel on the day
- you have to manage your feelings of boredom due to monotony
- you have to get your child to bed before they are too tired for story time
It’s a no brainer. Are you convinced yet?
- https://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/10-benefits-reading-why-you-should-read-everyday.html by Lana Winter-Hébert
- https://www.raisesmartkid.com/all-ages/1-articles/49-how-to-make-your-child-love-reading by Raising Smart Kids
- https://www.melbournechildpsychology.com.au/blog/the-many-benefits-of-reading-aloud-to-your-kids/ by Melbourne Child Psychology & School Psychology Services, Port Melbourne
To explore working with Lianne (online or face-to-face) in Johannesburg, (Strathavon in Sandton, Pine Park / Blairgowrie in Randburg), contact her to find out how she can meet your needs.